Part of what makes the Prairie community so unique is our network of parent volunteers. Without you – Prairie wouldn’t be the school it is today.
Getting involved is the best way to meet other parents and to get to know the students. There is a volunteer opportunity that fits every schedule.
If you see something that interests go to myschoolanywhere.com and login as you normally would. Then select “sign-ups” to find the sign-ups for your student’s classroom.
You may login anytime to see what you’ve signed up for, or to change your sign-ups.
If you have any questions or issues signing up, please contact Meg Kroening.
. If you need more information we’re happy to answer any questions — email us at email@example.com.
- Art in the Garden (September) – help plan and organize the annual garden art event for Prairie and the community.
- Prairie 5K Run (September) – volunteer to plan the event, gain sponsorships, race preparation, packet assembly and pick-up, race day events, etc.
- Special Guest Day (November) – help coordinate activities and prepare for guests to visit our children at school.
- Book Fair (November/April) – help staff the book fair – work one shift or the whole event.
- Pancake Breakfast (November) – help organize pancake breakfast for student and families.
- Variety Show (January) – work with students to help coordinate and produce the show.
- Auction (February) – become part of the planning team: community and school donations, decorations, marketing, food/beverage, entertainment, etc. There are also plenty of volunteer spots to help assemble auction items, set up, etc.
- Kindergarten Round-up (April) – work with the principal, secretary and teachers to plan a half-day orientation event for incoming kindergartners.
- Plant Sale (April) – help manage pre-sale orders, distribution, sales, etc.
- Golf Tournament (April/May) – join the team that helps promote, organize and manage our inter-elementary school golf tourney.
- Carnival (May) – plan and organize this all-school celebration for the kids.
- Field Day (May) – collaborate with the PE teacher to plan a day of games and activities. You can also volunteer to work a time slot for this event.
- Preschool Event Coordinator (4 times a year) – serve as the liaison between area preschools and Prairie, organizing activities for future Prairie students.
- Roller Skating/Bowling Parties (Fall and Spring) – plan dates, times and themes for two all-school social events.
- Directory (July-October) – help produce and distribute the school directory. Computer skills and attention to detail are needed.
- Prairie PTA Website (ongoing) – help maintain website content and work closely with the Prairie PTA newsletter team.
- Panther Email Newsletter (weekly) – help manage content, layout and deploy email weekly.
- Graphic Designer (project based) – help Prairie PTA design and produce materials for our events and yearbook production. A fun way to be recognized and to promote your business.
- Lobby Windows (1-4 times a month) – join the team that makes our lobby come to life communicating upcoming events.
- Legislative Liaison (ongoing) – keep PTA informed of local, state and national legislative issues relating to education and funding.
- Signboard (ongoing) – keep the outdoor sign board updated to promote monthly school activities.
- Yearbook and School Picture Day Coordinator (ongoing) – work with a publishing company to facilitate picture day. Team up with a committee to collect pictures throughout the school year and produce the yearbook.
- PTA Email Manager – help manage our PTA email address, answering parent emails and helping to send out all school emails.
- Room Parent (ongoing) – support your child’s teacher by managing party sign-ups, scheduling classroom volunteers and forwarding important school emails to your class. This is a perfect role for those new to Prairie!
- Library Volunteer (monthly) – help the librarian restock the shelves and check out books during your child’s library time.
- Lunch Helper (ongoing) – help the staff monitor lunch and keep kids moving.
- Staff Appreciation (ongoing) –volunteers needed to make food for the staff for various teacher appreciation meals throughout the year.
- Art Committee (ongoing) – help art teacher display student artwork for all grade levels.
- Cultural Arts (ongoing) – research educational art programs and arrange for them to perform at student assemblies.
- Health and Wellness/Red Ribbon Week (ongoing) – work with PE teacher and local pediatrician to promote health, wellness and safety of students through planned fitness programs, nutrition, bike safety, etc.
- Bakers/Hospitality (ongoing) – bake for teacher appreciation days and school events throughout the school year.
- Buddy Program (ongoing) – become a “buddy family” for an incoming new-to-Prairie family. Answer questions about Prairie and help the feel at home in our Prairie community.
- Box Top/Community Rewards (ongoing) – collect and deliver box tops and coordinate Ball’s community rewards sign-ups.
- Spirit Wear (ongoing) – promote and sell spirit wear products at events throughout the year.
- Trash Bag Sale (ongoing) – help promote sales, organize orders and distribute bags sales throughout the year.
- Scrip Program (December and May) – manage Scrip gift card program for holiday and end-of-year teacher gifts.
- Snowball Project (December) – help plan and collect donations/gifts for families during the holidays.
- One Book, One School (January) – work with librarian to select a book for school to read and plan a week of themed activities.
- 4th Grade Publishing (February) – work with 4th grade teachers to produce a bound storybook illustrated and written by 4th grade students.
- School Supply Sale (May-Aug.) – manage and place orders and distribute school supplies during the summer next year.
Working with Students
- Watch D.O.G.S. [Dads of Great Students] (one day or half-day) – a national program aimed at involving dads in their children’s school experience. Watch D.O.G. dads will spend the day helping in the classroom, reading to students, helping direct car pool traffic, etc.
- Panther Paw (Ongoing) – work with students to publish the school newspaper – illustrated entirely by students. Meetings are four times per year after school.
- Chat N Chew (second semester during lunch) – select books and organize volunteers for reading and discussion with grades 3-6. MVP training required
- Chess Club (twice monthly) – help plan, organize and run after-school chess club program.
- Math Club (monthly) – help coordinate the after school math club program. Students in 4th-6th grade can participate.
- 6th Grade Leadership Program Committee (ongoing) – work with 6th graders to plan, organize and run 6th grade programs. Includes t-shirts, video, end-of-the-year party and others. MVP training required
- Lego League (monthly) – help support our after-school Lego League program.
- MyVolunteerPal [MVP] (ongoing) – mentor kids at Prairie. One hour a week is all it takes to make a big difference in the life of a young person. For more information contact our school counselor Candace Dieckmann: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Garden Work Days (weekly) – The Prairie Garden is maintained by Prairie Families who volunteer their time and talents to keep our outdoor learning gardens in top shape. Please join us with your students on Tuesday afternoons from 3:15-4:00 as we work to prepare the garden for Prairie’s annual Art in the Garden Event.
- Junior Master Gardeners (ongoing) – help plan and run monthly gardening lessons for 4rd-6th grade students. Provide snack. Meets the second Thursday of the month.
- Project Prairie/Pond Maintenance – oversee the maintenance and promote usage of our outdoor plant and wildlife learning center.
- Garden Helpers – we are always looking for volunteers willing to help water, weed, plant and clean up the garden at various times of the year.