Part of what makes the Prairie community so unique is our network of parent volunteers. Without you – Prairie wouldn’t be the school it is today.
Getting involved is the best way to meet other parents and to get to know the students. There is a volunteer opportunity that fits every schedule.
If you are interested in volunteering or need more information we’re happy to answer any questions — email us at email@example.com.
- Art in the Garden – help plan and organize the annual garden art event for Prairie and the community.
- Prairie 5K and Fun Run – volunteer to plan the event, gain sponsorships, race preparation, packet assembly and pick-up, race day events, etc.
- Special Guest Day – help coordinate activities and prepare for guests to visit our children at school.
- Book Fair – help staff the book fair – work one shift or the whole event.
- Pancake Breakfast – help organize pancake breakfast for student and families.
- Variety Show – work with students to help coordinate and produce the show.
- Annual Prairie Auction – become part of the planning team: community and school donations, decorations, marketing, food/beverage, entertainment, etc. There are also plenty of volunteer spots to help assemble auction items, set up, etc.
- Kindergarten Round-up – work with the principal, secretary and teachers to plan an orientation event for incoming kindergartners.
- Carnival – plan and organize this all-school celebration for the kids.
- Field Day – collaborate with the PE teacher to plan a day of games and activities. You can also volunteer to work a time slot for this event.
- Preschool Event Coordinator – serve as the liaison between area preschools and Prairie, organizing activities for future Prairie students.
- Roller Skating Parties – plan dates, times and themes for two all-school social events.
- Directory – help produce and distribute the school directory. Computer skills and attention to detail are needed.
- Prairie PTA Website (ongoing) – help maintain website content and work closely with the Prairie PTA newsletter team.
- Panther Email Newsletter (weekly) – help manage content, layout and deploy email weekly.
- Graphic Designer (project based) – help Prairie PTA design and produce materials for our events and yearbook production. A fun way to be recognized and to promote your business.
- Lobby Windows – join the team that makes our lobby come to life communicating upcoming events.
- Legislative Liaison (ongoing) – keep PTA informed of local, state and national legislative issues relating to education and funding.
- Yearbook and School Picture Day Coordinator (ongoing) – work with a publishing company to facilitate picture day. Team up with a committee to collect pictures throughout the school year and produce the yearbook.
- Room Parent (ongoing) – support your child’s teacher by managing party sign-ups, scheduling classroom volunteers and forwarding important school emails to your class. This is a perfect role for those new to Prairie!
- Library Volunteer (monthly) – help the librarian restock the shelves and check out books during your child’s library time.
- Lunch Helper (ongoing) – help the staff monitor lunch and keep kids moving.
- Staff Appreciation (ongoing) –volunteers needed to make food for the staff for various teacher appreciation meals throughout the year.
- Art Committee (ongoing) – help art teacher display student artwork for all grade levels.
- Health and Wellness/Red Ribbon Week (ongoing) – work with PE teacher and local pediatrician to promote health, wellness and safety of students through planned fitness programs, nutrition, bike safety, etc.
- Bakers/Hospitality (ongoing) – bake for teacher appreciation days and school events throughout the school year.
- Buddy Program (ongoing) – become a “buddy family” for an incoming new-to-Prairie family. Answer questions about Prairie and help the feel at home in our Prairie community
- Box Top (ongoing) – collect and deliver box tops.
- Spirit Wear (ongoing) – promote and sell spirit wear products at events throughout the year.
- Scrip Program – manage Scrip gift card program for holiday and end-of-year teacher gifts.
- Snowball Project (November/December) – help plan and collect donations/gifts for families during the holidays.
- One Book, One School – work with librarian to select a book for school to read and plan a week of themed activities.
- School Supply Sale (May-Aug.) – manage and place orders and distribute school supplies during the summer for the following school year.
Working with Students
- Watch D.O.G.S. [Dads of Great Students] – a national program aimed at involving dads in their children’s school experience. Watch D.O.G. dads will spend the morning or afternoon helping in the classroom, reading to students, helping direct car pool traffic, etc.
- Panther Paw (Ongoing) – work with students to publish the school newspaper – illustrated entirely by students. Meetings are four times per year after school.
- Chat N Chew – select books and organize volunteers for reading and discussion with grades 3-6.
- Chess Club – help plan, organize and run after-school chess club program.
- Math Club (monthly) – help coordinate the after school math club program. Students in 4th-6th grade can participate.
- 6th Grade Leadership Program Committee (ongoing) – work with 6th graders to plan, organize and run 6th grade programs. Includes t-shirts, video, end-of-the-year party and others.
- Lego League – help support our after-school Lego League program.
- Garden Work Days – The Prairie Garden is maintained by Prairie Families who volunteer their time and talents to keep our outdoor learning gardens in top shape.
- Junior Master Gardeners (ongoing) – help plan and run monthly gardening lessons for Prairie students.
- Project Prairie/Pond Maintenance – oversee the maintenance and promote usage of our outdoor plant and wildlife learning center.
- Garden Helpers – we are always looking for volunteers willing to help water, weed, plant and clean up the garden at various times of the year.