- Our first general PTA meeting is Monday, August 28 at 7:00 pm in the library. This is open to everyone and we encourage you to attend if you can. Here’s what’s on the agenda:
- An In-depth Look at Prairie PTA and how it works
– Fundraising and why it’s important at Prairie
– What is the Prairie Fund
– PTA budget approval vote
- Legislative update
- Internet safety – presented by Officer Wolf
On Monday, August 21, 2017, a solar eclipse will cross the United States from Oregon to South Carolina and we will have a great view of this at Prairie Elementary! This will be the first total solar eclipse to travel coast to coast across the U.S. since 1918.
The PTA has purchased Certified Safe Solar Glasses for the entire school to get outside and see it first hand on Monday.
It should be a very exciting day for all!
Happy first full week of school! Make sure to check our Calendar for important upcoming dates!
Don’t forget about the Ice Cream Social this Wednesday!
4:00-5:00 – Meet your child’s teacher and drop off supplies
4:00-6:00 – PTA opportunities in the gym and ice cream in the Multi-Purpose Room
Visit the gym to:
* Sign your student up for activities and clubs
* Sign up for parent volunteer opportunities. *Tip* If you’d like to sign up now you can do so through your My School Anywhere account. Click here to login to your account. Once you are logged in click the Sign Ups tab for volunteer opportunities. Note: Room Parent spots can only be signed up for at the ice cream social
* Pay for PTA membership/directory, Friends of the Library and yearbook. *Tip* If you’d like to pay for these items now click here to login to your My School Anywhere Store account.
* Seretha and Ellen will be accepting lunch money for your student’s account in the office.
Join us September 23rd at Prairie Elementary for a 5K race or 1 mile Fun Run followed by food, music, and kids’ activities.
This event is for the entire family! The Fun Run begins at 8:00am, and the 5K begins at 8:30am. The 5K is a certified race course complete with a timing chip to record your time. You can walk or run, and the whole family is invited to participate – strollers are welcome! The fun continues after each race with complimentary food and entertainment.
One of Prairie’s major fundraisers, all proceeds from this event go toward funding our Reading Specialist, School Counselor, and Spanish Program. Even if you don’t plan on participating in the event, your registration is a donation toward supporting these important Prairie resources.
To register, please visit: prairie.run
Please contact Sarah Walsh with any questions.
It’s hard to believe the school year is over. Thank you, parents, for supporting the PTA. Your time, energy and financial contributions have helped make this one of our most successful years.
Interested in becoming more involved next year? We’d love to have you!
Email Regan Barrett anytime to get more information.
Parents, mark your calendars for Kindergarten Round-up, Tuesday, April 18th from 6:30-8:00 p.m.
We’ll have activities for your incoming kindergartener while we give parents the download of what to expect the first year.
Please print out and complete the following forms, and turn them in to Prairie’s office BEFORE April 18th:
- Enrollment Form (English)
- Enrollment Form (Spanish)
- Enrollment Addendum (English)
- Enrollment Addendum (Spanish)
- Health History and Permit Form
- Home Language Survey
What to Bring to Round-Up:
- Certified copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Immunization records
- Proof of residency (in the form of a utility bill, contract for a home, or a lease)
- Checkbook (YCare enrollment, Activities Sign-up, School Directory, Spirit Wear, etc.)
Fundraising has become an essential element of the public school system helping finance key programs and funding student activities. At Prairie, our fundraising dollars have gone toward student support programs like the Reading Specialist and School Counselor as well as enrichment programs like Spanish.
One of several fundraising programs at Prairie, the Auction contributes the greatest percentage of funds to these special programs (close to 80%). Every dollar raised goes directly into the Prairie Fund. There is a silent auction, a live auction, Fund-a-Need and can include anything from a gift basket to a puppy!
Mark your calendar for this year’s auction, Saturday, February 25th. Purchase your tickets here.
Unfamiliar with the Auction? Click here to learn more about it.
The Read and Ride program began last year when a group of 6th graders won an award through KC Healthy Kids.
The students decided to use the money to bring recumbent bikes to Prairie, as a way to stay active while reading.
Students went to businesses to solicit funds to secure more bikes, and were able to raise an extra $530 bringing the total to $1,530. Before these 6th graders moved on, they recruited the incoming 6th graders to keep the project moving.
This group has conducted more fundraising in the school. Their hot chocolate stand raised $250, and they also won an additional contribution through KC Healthy kids, bringing in another $100.
Through their hard work, Prairie has finally purchased 4 bikes which will be placed in the office and library, and potentially one in the old computer lab space.
We’re very proud of our students for their hard work in fundraising for this cause, and are thrilled to provide this movement option to all Prairie students.
Help us continue raising funds for more stationary bikes – bring in package, nut-free candy for our Valentine’s Day promotion (see newsletter for details).