Welcome to Prairie!
We’re excited to partner with you and your child as you begin your journey with Prairie Elementary. To help you make the most of your first year with us we’ve outlined some important information as well as our main events and volunteer opportunities.
- Attendance line: 913-993-4488 (report absences and tardy students)
- Panther Newsletter Emails: sent weekly, these newsletters are the best way to stay current on everything Prairie. The week’s content is also posted on the website in case you miss it in your email.
- PrairiePTA.org: sign up for student activities and parent volunteer opportunities, register for events like Prairie 5K and the auction and order Spirit Wear anytime.
- Prairie.SMSD.org: this is the main SMSD school website, where you can add money to your student’s lunch account, access Skyward for report cards and manage how you get school notifications through Skylert.
- Prairie PTA Facebook page: be sure to “like” our page so you can stay in the know on events, special announcements and student photos.
- SMSD App: download this FREE app and have one touch access to everything you need to keep you up to date.
- Prairie Calendar: import calendar events into your personal calendar system. Click here for more information.
- Room Parent: every class has a room parent who serves as the liaison between the teacher, the PTA and the classroom parents. They coordinate party volunteers and communicate important school news to parents.
- August – Ice Cream Social – What better way to introduce your new student to Prairie than with ice cream! Join us before school starts to meet your teacher, drop off school supplies and enjoy some ice cream.
- August or September – Back to School Night (parents only)– Learn about the class curriculum, meet other parents in the classroom and get a chance to learn about Prairie extra-curricular activities.
- November – Special Guest Day – A grandparent, parent or other special guest joins your student in class for activities and lunch.
- January – Variety Show – Every grade level is welcome to participate! This is a fun way for students to share their talents with the rest of Prairie!
- May – Carnival – A perfect end to the school year, join us for games, face painting and other fun activities!
- September – Prairie Pride Run 5K – Our annual fundraiser that’s fun for the whole family. Choose to participate as a registered runner/walker in the 5K or you and the family can walk the Fun Run, a one-mile jaunt around the neighborhood.
- October – Trash Bags – purchase your yard bags, kitchen and contractor size trash bags through Prairie, and help us fund our programs! Like the 5k and the auction, all proceeds go toward paying for the School counselor, Reading specialist and the Spanish program.
- November & April – Pancake Feed – a newer tradition at Prairie, this event is catered by Chris Cakes and is a 5th grade fundraiser to help pay for 6th grade activities (Wildwood, etc.)
- February – Prairie Auction – The biggest event Prairie hosts each year, the auction is a fun evening at The Vox Theater where you’ll get to bid on everything from spa packages to photo sessions. This event has helped fund many of Prairie’s educational extras like the School Counselor, Reading Specialist and Spanish program.
- April – Plant Sale – proceeds from this fundraiser help 5th graders raise money for their 6th grade year (Wildwood, etc.)
Aside from classroom volunteering there are many other ways to get involved at Prairie. The PTA offers something for everyone and is a fantastic way to meet other parents and get more familiar with the school. Find a complete list of PTA volunteer opportunities here.
You’re bound to have questions throughout the year and we encourage you to reach out to us. Our contact info can be found here. And you can always email general questions to: email@example.com
We look forward to getting to know you and your child and welcome you to the Prairie Family!
The Prairie PTA